Had a great time facilitating workshop on Innovation. The best part of the day was participant’s input. Remarkable.
Innovation is one subject that excites me, naturally. Why? Because I think its one thing that will certainly be the key differentiator between winners & strugglers!
However, the overall investment done on teaching, promoting and inculcating innovation as culture is negligible. I think their can be two reasons for that:
- Companies think that Innovation can’t be taught.
- Companies think that there R&D department is sufficient and needs no help.
May be… May be not?
If communication, arbitration, negotiation and many other “tions” can be taught – Innovation can certainly be taught. The problem is with HOW it is taught. This is where the role of consultant / facilitator gets critical.
Today, at Jugaad Innovation workshop, we kept our focus on one common agenda: “How to“.
This, I propose, is the way forward – not just for innovation, but any skills being taught.
My top 5 advices to increase your “Innovation-ness” are:
- Read Humor. It is the best play-ground to learn creativity and innovation.
- Have lunch with colleagues from other functions. Same folks, all day kills appetite for NEW.
- Spend time with kids, asking them questions, and answering their questions. Trust me, the ‘answering’ part is
- Try to pen-down your burning ideas on a piece of paper, in not more than 3 lines.
- Share your ideas with others – randomly. Don’t worry with your idea being stolen. Trust me. A stolen idea does much better than the one, never shared!
Have a wonderful life!